15 July 2009

Tunnel Rats (aka 1968 Tunnel Rats) (2008)

I have a new surround sound system and I was looking for a movie to test it out. War movies with their shooting and explosions and mass of sound effects are perfect for this. I grabbed Tunnel rats knowing nothing about it. When the credits ran and I saw that Uwe Boll was the writer and director, my heart sank. His movies, mostly adaptations from video games (eg Postal) are abysmal. I was surprised to find that, with Tunnel rats, Uwe Boll has managed to make a movie that is not totally repugnant.

American soldiers in Vietnam bravely go in to a series of tight underground tunnels to find and kill Viet Cong. The underground scenes are claustrophobic and tense. The above ground scenes are much less impressive and the VC attack on the American camp just seems like an excuse to show blood and guts action. The suspense Boll creates below ground is much more interesting.

I read that the actors ad-libbed much of their lines. The less Uwe Boll contributes to a movie the better.

No comments: